The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) is set to open on Monday, April 6th, 2020. Applications are asked to be made based on the month of your birth (see here (https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html) ).
Video talking about the CERB in more detail – see here Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
1. The applicant must have received $5,000 of income in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of application. It must come from one of the following sources:
* Maternity/Paternity leave
1. It is $500/week, which is roughly $2,167/month. So this is actually more than the $2,000/month that is being spoken about.
2. The CERB is available to those who stop working for reasons related to COVID-19 (lay-off, quarantine, sick, etc.) Please read the criteria for specifics.
3. To continue to be eligible for the CERB, you must have stopped working and be without employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the four-week period.
4. If you are already on EI, you don’t need to do anything at this point. You will automatically be converted to the CERB.
5. This benefit is taxable.
6. You should register for your CRA My Account ASAP to complete the application and set up direct deposit. I am attaching a list of instructions on how to do so.
You are personally required to do this yourself.