Early settlement in the area began in 1785 Finch Township was originally part of the Royal Township of Osnabruck, and Roxborough Township was originally part of the Royal Township of Cornwall. Stormont County was created in 1792, and both Finch and Roxborough were separated from their southerly parents in 1798.
The hamlet of Berwick was first settled by four Cockburn brothers from Scotland in the early 19th century. Berwick became the administrative home of municipal government in the former Finch Township, incorporated January 1, 1850.
The New York and Ottawa Railway was built in 1897 and sent up to four daily passenger trains, as well as up to five daily freight trains through Berwick. The first church was built in 1883.
Berwick remains the administrative centre of North Stormont.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article, North Stormont which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License