Fire Chief – Dan Gauvin
18 Second Street,
This progressive community offers the best of both worlds to residents, businesses and guests. The relaxing, tranquil charm is a sharp contrast to the fast paced environment of its Northern neighbour, the Nation’s Capital. The 30 minute drive enables commuters to work in Ottawa but live in an affordable community where education, health professionals and services are easily accessible and conveniently located.
Community Spirit is strong in Crysler with ample opportunity for residents to volunteer time and skills. The Crysler Citizen Committee is focused on keeping up the aesthetic appearance of the area and encourages residents’ participation and input. The Recreation Committee is another volunteer opportunity for those interested in providing services, events and programs to their neighbours.
Some key services available in this community are:
- The NEW covered skating rink
- The Crysler Walking Trail- Organized by the Crysler Citizen Committee
- Baseball diamond with canteen
- Public Park with playground
- Organized sports programs like soccer, baseball etc.
- Crysler Community Centre
- Crysler Fire Department
- Dock and boat launch on South Nation River
- Community events ranging from weekly Bingo (Wednesday nights with special Holiday Bingos), monthly community dinners (3rd Friday of each month), and annual events such as DAMFEST, Crysler Farm Show, Winter Carnival, Golf Tournament, Community Day, and Craft Show.
Other services available include:
- Crysler Library
- Medical Facility – Centre Medicare
- French elementary school l’École élémentaire catholique Notre-Dame-du-Rosaire
- Catholic Church
Visit us online for more information about the Crysler Community Centre.
Crysler is named after Col. John Crysler, renowned for his leadership during the battle of Crysler Farm in November 1813. History tells us that the Crysler family came from the Palatinate in Germany. They were of the Lutheran religion and because of this were driven out of Germany by Louis XIV. Some members of the family went to Holland and then to England. Others went directly to the United States. John Crysler’s father settled in the Scoharie Valley in the colony of New York. In 1775, a skirmish of the Revolutionary War took place on that particular farm. At the age of twelve, John Crysler joined Butler’s Rangers and became a drummer boy. During the American Revolution, many of these Lutherans, desiring to show their allegiance to the German-speaking King George III of England, moved to the north shore of the St. Lawrence River in 1776. And so John Crysler emigrated to Canada at the age of sixteen and went into business. He became wealthy by operating lumbering, milling and merchandising enterprises. He also became a large landowner, owning more than sixty thousand acres along the St. Lawrence River and further north. In Williamsburg Township he owned the land where the battle of Crysler’s Farm was fought. He also owned the land in the Township of Finch in Stormont County, where the village of Crysler is now situated. The common factor which joins these two entities is the land owned by Col. John Crysler.
In 1808, John Crysler succeeded in becoming an elected representative for the County of Dundas on the fifth Parliament of Upper Canada and served until 1824. He was also a Colonel in the militia, and a very prominent person in the community. He donated land in Crysler for the erection of three churches: the Roman Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church and the Anglican Church. he was a very active and generous member of the Anglican congregation. He chose to live his final years in Crysler and is buried in the Anglican cemetery in that village. His tombstone bears the dates 1768-1852. In 1987, a historic site marker was erected by Finch Township Council to honour his contribution to his country. Lorna Armstrong of Crysler was instrumental in the erection of this plaque. One of the last remaining members of the Crysler family was Kate Crysler and she died in 1946 in Ottawa. At the time of her death, Kate still owned a house in Crysler; Built in 1903, it was a large impressive brick structure. Lindsay Crysler and his sister Mrs. Fred O’Connor died shortly after Kate. Land originally owned by Col. John Crysler was purchased by farmers in the area.